It took me 18 months to complete my basement build. Not all of that time was spent on the theater. My wife gave me the go ahead with the theater, but with some stipulations. First, I had to finish the entire basement, not just the theater. Second, I couldn’t spend over $12,000 including building materials, furniture, decor and electronics (man, that is a small budget!). And finally, don’t burn the house down!
So there you go, I have to take an unfinished basement to a new finished living space for $12,000 or less. Here are the steps I have taken to make this a reality and some things that I would have done differently. Let’s start.
- Measure the empty basement – 27′ x 30′
- Determine how many areas are needed – Theater, Bar-Dining, Craft, Bathroom, Storage
- Rough design of space usage
- Do rough electrical, hvac, plumbing plans. This is where you want to decide speaker placement and how much conduit you need.
- Buy tools and building materials [Read more…]